Re: local keymap patch for key-binding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: local keymap patch for key-binding
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:34:19 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is the latest patch iteration.  I think it should be fit for
> checking in.  It might also seem reasonable to add the optional
> `position' argument to `current-active-maps', but this has not been
> done.

Ok, and since there has been some quietness from Richard today, let me
feed the patch queue further:

The following are changes to help.el, mouse.el and similar.  I think
it becomes obvious that the idiom "Take a look at whether element 0 or
element 1 of a key sequence happen to be an event" is used pretty
often in those files, so maybe `key-event' would be nice to have in
subr.el.

Another addition is `mouse-posn-property', a new function: this could
be another candidate for subr.el (under the name `posn-property',
then).  It digs through a possible display string and then the buffer
for a given property.  At the current point of time, it does not sift
through a possible "image" property list in case an image is clicked:
image properties tend to be suitably dissimilar from buffer properties
that it does not seem to make much sense to treat them the same.

Note that this patch set does not currently need a NEWS entry or
similar: it more or less brings a bunch of behavior in line with what
one would expect.

Don't apply it unless the key-binding patch set has been applied
previously, or things will _really_ break.

So once Richard has been able to look over his mail again, I'd like to
apply both patch sets.  They work fine here.