address@hidden: Re: View Changes In File failure]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: View Changes In File failure]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:56:59 -0400

Would someone please DTRT, then ack?

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:14:57 +0200
From: Ron <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: View Changes In File failure

2006/9/15, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> Can you please provide a _precise_ test case, not leaving any details
> unstated?
Ok

> Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual, which provides
> guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us the
> necessary information so we can fix the bug.

Ok, I see I did exactly what was the typical undesired behaviour for
reporting a bug. Sorry about that.

Now, for a complete transscript:
$ emacs -q -Q
C-x C-f nonexistingfile RET
Emacs reports (New File) in the minibar
Type letter 'a' by pressing the 'a' key.
C-x C-s
C-x C-c
$ emacs -q -Q
C-x C-f nonexistingfile RET
Press End key
Press b
I press the cross in the upper right corner of my screen with the
intention of closing Emacs.

Now, a small modeless frame is displayed, with "Question" in the
titlebar. The question is: Save /home/<my username>/nonexistingfile?

 I am giving the options by means of buttons between
- - Yes
- - No
- - View This File
- - View Changes In File
- - Save This But No More
- - Save All Buffers
- - No For All

I choose View Changes In File by using the left mouse button of my
mouse which is <down-mouse-1>.

The result is now as per the original bug report: it loads diff-mode
behind the modeless window,
flashes the screen (due to a redraw), and then does nothing. The
expected behaviour of "View Changes In File", which would be to show
some buffer with the changes presumably, does not occur. Clicking the
View Changes In File button repeatedly upto 5 times does not show any
difference.

Another bug I found was trying to find out to what function or
"procedure" (to use Lisp terms) is bound to pressing the cross. I did
C-h k and then I pressed the left mouse button on that cross.  I
expected to see documentation, but I only got that (the same as I
speak of above) frame again.

I hope this helps

Ron