Re: Emacs puts binary junk into the clipboard, marking it as text

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs puts binary junk into the clipboard, marking it as text
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:25:20 +0200

Jan D. wrote:
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Jan Djärv wrote:

Chris Moore skrev:
A very simple case which reproduces the bug:

I made a 1-byte file containing just character 0300 (octal),
copied that using Emacs, and clipman started printing its error
message over and over again.

Anyway, I will fix this somehow, we should not be sending non-UTF8 as a UTF8_STRING.

I've checked in a fix that changes UTF8_STRING to STRING if the data doesn't look like UTF8. However, this might give errors too. The only way to be sure to copy raw binary data correctly is by adding a new type (like application-specific/octet-stream). But if we do that, nobody will be able to get data from Emacs, as such a type is not standard and unsupported. Copy-paste with raw binary data is just something most apps don't do.

Please try this, it is hopefully better.

   Jan D.