address@hidden: url-http.el breaks Emacs/W3]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: url-http.el breaks Emacs/W3]
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:12:39 -0400

Would someone please deal with this, then ack?

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:59:45 -0700
To: address@hidden
CC:
From: "T. V. Raman" <address@hidden>
Subject: url-http.el breaks Emacs/W3

I finally  got a little more detail on where this breakage is
occuring.

Symptoms:

If you use Emacs/w3 and use the URL package out of Emacs CVS you
hit an error on sites that do a redirect e.g. http://sf.net

The error is very difficult to track down because it's being
thrown from the w3 site in w3-fetch-callback.

But I have verified that the problem appears to be  isolated in
url-http.el, i.e. if you use  package url out of Emacs 22 CVS,
and load url-http.el by hand from William Perry's original CVS
snapshot on savannah, then everything works correctly.

There are  a number of bug  fixes in url-http.el
in the Emacs CVS repos -- so simply going back to Bill's version
is not a good idea either.

Could someone here help me chase this down further?

To reproduce the problem:

Pull w3 from savannah cvs, ./configure
- --with-emacs=<path-to-emacs-22> make
then do
M-x w3-fetch http://sf.net
the above URL produces a 301 redirect to the actual SF site which
triggers the error
 Thanks,
 --Raman

- --