Re: address@hidden: Re: View Changes In File failure]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: View Changes In File failure]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:16:57 -0400

> $ emacs -q -Q
> C-x C-f nonexistingfile RET
> Emacs reports (New File) in the minibar
> Type letter 'a' by pressing the 'a' key.
> C-x C-s
> C-x C-c
> $ emacs -q -Q
> C-x C-f nonexistingfile RET
> Press End key
> Press b
> I press the cross in the upper right corner of my screen with the
> intention of closing Emacs.
>
> Now, a small modeless frame is displayed, with "Question" in the
> titlebar. The question is: Save /home/<my username>/nonexistingfile?
>
> I choose View Changes In File by using the left mouse button of my
> mouse which is <down-mouse-1>.
>
> The result is now as per the original bug report: it loads diff-mode
> behind the modeless window, flashes the screen (due to a redraw),
> and then does nothing. The expected behaviour of "View Changes In
> File", which would be to show some buffer with the changes
> presumably, does not occur.

I can't reproduce this on

  Emacs 22.0.50.172 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)

which is the same configuration you said in your original bug report.

The *Diff* buffer is correctly populated with the difference between
the two files.

Can you check that the M-x diff command works properly?  It may be
that you don't have diff installed.