Re: Emacs puts binary junk into the clipboard, marking it as text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs puts binary junk into the clipboard, marking it as text
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 06:54:34 -0400

>> I've checked in a fix that changes UTF8_STRING to STRING if the data
>> doesn't look like UTF8.  However, this might give errors too.  The only
>> way to be sure to copy raw binary data correctly is by adding a new type
>> (like application-specific/octet-stream).   But if we do that, nobody
>> will be able to get data from Emacs, as such a type is not standard and
>> unsupported.  Copy-paste with raw binary data is just something most
>> apps don't do.

> AFAIK, only when TEXT is requested, an selection owner can
> choose the returning type from STRING, COMPOUND_TEXT, or
> UTF8_STRING.  When UTF8_STRING is requested, we should
> return it or return nothing.

Also IIRC a perfectly valid utf-8 buffer may contain eight-bit-* chars, use
to keep track of valid unicode chars that have no corresponding character in
emacs-mule.  So the presence of eight-bit-* chars does not imply that the
utf-8 encoded form of the text will contain an invalid utf-8 byte sequence.

> And, if Emacs owns a unibyte string, perhaps the right thing
> is to make it multibyte according to the current
> lang. env. (by string-make-multibyte) at first, then encode
> it by utf-8.

That sounds terribly fragile/buggy.

        Stefan