Re: GNU Emacs 22.0.50 fails to find ä in different ISO Latin encodings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs 22.0.50 fails to find ä in different ISO Latin encodings
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:57:22 -0400

    A while ago, I proposed to change isearch so that it
    translates characters by translation-table-for-input to
    solve such a problem, but there raised an objection that
    read-char should do that translation.  RMS asked to check if
    such a change to read-char is surely safe or not, but as
    such a check is very difficult and time-consuiming, no one
    took on the job.

    So, this problem is still unfixed.

    I again propose to change isearch.

Yes, let's do it that way.  Could you do it now?

David Kastrup wrote:

    "in the future", namely after the release, we are going to switch to
    the unicode2 branch and presumably the problem will go away.

That is true, so we already have our long-term solution.
For now, fixing isearch is sufficient.