Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version contr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version control svn or cvs
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:24:52 +0300

> From: Patrick Drechsler <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:09:10 +0200
>
> Can I put a directory ".emacs.d" including an init.el somewhere under
> Windows/Cygwin so that it will be recognized by a default Emacs
> installation (C:\.emacs.d\init.el is ignored when there is no C:\.emacs
> or C:\_emacs)?

Why can't you set the HOME environment variable on Windows to point to
the place where you keep your .emacs.d directory?

To keep the bulk of init.el in a single place, you could have a
minimal ~/.emacs.d/init.el, one for each OS, that loads the rest from
a single place.

> Furthermore: What would be the current Emacs variable to tweak for using an
>
> IF windows
>       use this path
> ELSEIF Cygwin
>       use another path
> ELSE ;; linux
>       use yet another path
>
> construct?

Try system-configuration.

> Since both versions are not stable I am wondering if they are compatible
> or if I should chose another combination...

Quite compatible.

> If they are compatible: What is the best approach for a multi-platform
> install file?

What do you mean by ``install file''?