GNU Emacs no longer honours top and left parameters to make-frame

From: Krishnakumar B
Subject: GNU Emacs no longer honours top and left parameters to make-frame
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:42:13 -0500

Hi,

The following code that I had in my .emacs no longer works, i.e., the top
and left values are not honoured by Emacs, and Emacs places my frames at
arbitrary locations on startup.

/----
| ;; Sizes for the various frames
|
| (if window-system
|     (let (top left height)
|       (if (= (display-pixel-width) 1600)
|           (setq top     12
|                 left    753
|                 height  69)
|         (setq top       14
|               left      637
|               height    56))
|       (setq default-frame-alist `((width . 80)
|                                   (left   . ,left)
|                                   (top    . ,top)
|                                   (height . ,height)
|                                   (tool-bar-lines . 0)))
|       (setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist))
|   (menu-bar-mode 0))
|

| ;; ;; Create the smaller frame on the left side of the screen.
|
| (if window-system
|     (let (top left height)
|       (if (= (display-pixel-width) 1600)
|           (setq top     27
|                 left    0
|                 height  68)
|         (setq top       48
|               left      0
|               height    54))
|       (make-frame `((width  . 80)
|                     (left   . ,left)
|                     (top    . ,top)
|                     (height . ,height)
|                     (tool-bar-lines . 0))))
|   (menu-bar-mode 0))
\----

I also noticed that once Emacs is initialized, if I try to execute the
second function, i.e., the smaller frame one, it places it over my right
frame.  Are top and left no longer supported?

I am using GNU Emacs compiled from CVS with version reported as:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.2.3790)
 of 2006-09-19 on EQUUS
X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.2.3790
configured using `configure --with-msvc (13.10)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  partial-completion-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Any pointers on how to get back the old behavior which used to place the
frames in a non-overlapping fashion is much appreciated.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS, Vanderbilt University