Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version contr

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: single init file/directory for windows and linux using version control svn or cvs
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:49:28 -0700

> I'm trying to conceive a single repository for my personal configurations
> using SVN.  To keep everything in one folder I have deleted "~/.emacs" and
> started using "~/.emacs.d/init.el".  Furthermore I have put all my
> external lisp files in "~/.emacs.d/mysitelisp", which are included
> correctly by init.el.

I agree that Emacs should be moving in such a direction.  We already use the
~/.emacs.d directory for various config files.

> This works fine with Linux, WindowsXP and Cygwin.  BUT I had to repeat
> this procedure in each corresponding home directories.

What procedure?

> Furthermore: What would be the current Emacs variable to tweak for using an

> IF windows
>       use this path
> ELSEIF Cygwin
>       use another path
> ELSE ;; linux
>       use yet another path

> construct?

I tend to do it like this:

  (cond
   ((file-directory-p "/sw/bin/")
    ... use /sw/bin ...)
   ((file-directory-p "D:/homes/")
    ... use d:/homes/ ...)
   ((file-directory-p "/usr/local/bin/")
    ... use /usr/local/bin ...)
   (t ... use the default ...))

Especially since I have access to different GNU/Linux systems which use
different paths, so checking the OS doesn't cut it.

        Stefan