Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin (Mystery!)

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin (Mystery!)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 01:08:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We need to solve this ``no debugging symbols found'' problem.  Can you
> please post the transcript of the entire configure+build procedure, or
> (better) look there for the command that stripped the symbols from the
> binary?

I have looked but found anything, so I have attached
Build_Emacs-CVS.tar.bz2 which contains :

   build-emacs-cvs.sh
   build-emacs-cvs.log
   .emacs-cvs

The first is the script to build Emacs-CVS and that produces the .log file
of the building (configure included), the last is the initialization file
(.emacs).

> The ``normal'' build should invoke GCC with the -g option, and should
> NOT use the -s option to GCC or the linker in the command that links
> temacs.exe.  This should produce temacs.exe with debugging symbols,
> and then dumping emacs.exe should produce emacs.exe with debugging
> symbols.
>
> What happens if you type "gdb ./temacs.exe", does it also say ``no
> debugging symbols found''?

I will try this at the next build (tomorrow), I have deleted the building
tree.

> > (gdb) r
>
> "r -Q" is better, as it doesn't load any init files.
>
> > Starting program: /usr/local/emacs-22.0.50/bin/emacs.exe
> > Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/cygtiff-5.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/cygungif-4.dll
> >
> > [1]+  Stopped                 gdb ./emacs
>
> Can you type "fg" at this point, to get back into GDB?

Yes (oh yes, fg!); this is the result
[1]+  Stopped                 gdb ./emacs.exe

address@hidden /usr/local/emacs-22.0.50/bin
$ fg
gdb ./emacs.exe
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

warning: NOD32 protected [MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]]
warning: NOD32 protected [MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]]
warning: NOD32 protected [MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP]]
warning: NOD32 protected [RSVP UDP Service Provider]
warning: NOD32 protected [RSVP TCP Service Provider]
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

A this point Emacs starts and for the moment it seems to works.

> If that works, can you type "bt" inside GDB and get a meaningful
> traceback?

I think NO, I haven't any GDB prompt. In any case I have typed 'bt'
without results:

warning: NOD32 protected [RSVP TCP Service Provider]
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

bt

I can continue to type <Return> with the only result to add lines.

After a few minutes that anything happened, I have decided to close Emacs
(click on 'x' button of the window):

---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

bt

Program exited normally.
(gdb)
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb)
No stack.
(gdb)
No stack.
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb)

After this I have repeated using

  (gdb) -r

so that also the init file is loaded. For the moment same behaviour
without seg. fault.

I will observe for a longer time the behaviour of Emacs under GDB.

Thanks,

   Angelo.