Re: GNU Emacs no longer honours top and left parameters to make-frame

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs no longer honours top and left parameters to make-frame
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:02:09 +0200

* Kim F. Storm (2006-09-22) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * Ralf Angeli (2006-09-20) writes:

[...]
>> Hm, w32_createwindow would have to know these values.  But the only
>> object explicitely passed to the function is the frame.  The frame
>> struct contains top_pos and left_pos but we don't know when we can use
>> them.
>>
>> Does anybody know if there is another variable where the (top and
>> left) values given to `make-frame' are stored and which could be used
>> by w32_createwindow to look them up?
>
> Maybe the answer to the following questions would give you some clues...
>
> How did it work before?
> What change broke it?

w32_createwindow originally used f->top_pos and f->left_pos for the
top and left positions of the frame.  It now uses advises Windows'
window manager to position the frame itself unless there are values
for top or left positions set in initial-frame-alist or
default-frame-alist.  Because top and left positions passed to
make-frame are not added to these variables they are currently not
used.  Unfortunately I forgot this case when implementing the changes
in w32_createwindow.  Mitsuharu's suggestion could be a way to remedy
the problem IIUC.

--
Ralf