Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:26:13 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:41:16 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>
> shell-quote-argument actually is an "os quote argument". It does not
> check what shell is actually used. This is a bug in my opinion, but you
> notice it mostly on w32 where different shells are actually used.

I don't think it's a bug on Posix platforms, since /bin/sh is
generally invoked there, even if the interactive shell is different.

> I think therefore that shell-quote-argument should check
> shell-file-name at least when system-type is 'windows-nt.

I think it's needed _only_ on windows-nt.  Cygwin uses Bash, while the
DOS port doesn't need to distinguish between the different shells,
since the functions it uses for subprogram invocation DTRT in all
cases.

> (defcustom shell-quote-types
>   '( ("cmdproxy" w32cmd) )
>   "Type of quoting to use for inferior shell.
> A list of cons cells where the car of each cell is a regexp that
> is matched against `shell-file-name' by
> `shell-quote-argument'. When a match is found the corresponding
> quoting type given by the cdr of the cons cell is used."
>   :type '(repeat (list regexp symbol))
>   :group 'shell)

This isn't needed, since we already have w32-system-shell-p and
w32-shell-dos-semantics, see w32-fns.el.