Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:51:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:41:16 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>

shell-quote-argument actually is an "os quote argument". It does not check what shell is actually used. This is a bug in my opinion, but you notice it mostly on w32 where different shells are actually used.

I think therefore that shell-quote-argument should check
shell-file-name at least when system-type is 'windows-nt.

I think it's needed _only_ on windows-nt.  Cygwin uses Bash, while the

(defcustom shell-quote-types
  '( ("cmdproxy" w32cmd) )
This isn't needed, since we already have w32-system-shell-p and
w32-shell-dos-semantics, see w32-fns.el.
Ah, thanks, I forgot about that. I just still feel that shell-quote-argument is to hard to use. Maybe it should have an optional second argument? That could perhaps make it much easier to use on w32.

The reason I was thinking about it was actually the problems I reported yesterday in "Ftp and file name with spaces". It looks to me that probably should quoting there be unix style. And it does not matter what the shell is since the ftp program is run directly (or am I missing something there?).

So what is needed on w32 seems to be a way to tell for each program how quoting should be done. And a second optional argument to shell-quote-argument would probably make the coding quite a bit easier.