Re: count-words-region and count-words-buffer

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: count-words-region and count-words-buffer
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:34:01 +0000 (UTC)

Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> wrote

    The XEmacs functions `count-words-region' and `count-words-buffer'
    have proven extremely useful over the years.

Yes, true.  For whatever reason, perhaps because the function is easy
to write or perhaps because hackers do not count words but necessity,
a word count function does not appear as a default command.  My
`Introduction to Emacs Lisp', which is part of the distribution, has
two versions of the `count-words-region' command, one using a while
loop and one recursive.

Here is a while loop version of `count-words-region' that I have kept
in my .emacs file for the past seventeen years:

;;; Word Count Command

;;; 26 August 1989
(defun count-words-region (beginning end)
  "Print number of words in the region."
  (interactive "r")
  (message "Counting words in region ... ")

;;; 1. Set up appropriate conditions.
  (save-excursion
    (let ((count 0))
      (goto-char beginning)

;;; 2. Run the while loop.
      (while (and (< (point) end)
                  (re-search-forward "\\w+\\W*" end t))
        (setq count (1+ count)))

;;; 3. Send a message to the user.
      (cond ((zerop count)
             (message "The region does NOT have any words."))
            ((= 1 count) (message "The region has 1 word."))
            (t (message "The region has %d words." count))))))

(global-set-key "\C-c=" 'count-words-region)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden