Re: SMTP Auth Failure

From: Osamu Yamane
Subject: Re: SMTP Auth Failure
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:24:30 +0900

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.

> Your change is to tell it NOT to break lines.
> It surprises me that this would fix such a problem.
> Would you please explain why it does?
>
> Best would be to put that into comments that go with your
> changes.  We will need maintain this code in the future,
> so we will need a comment to remind us.

I hope the following could be a comment to this case:

SMTP auth fails because the SMTP server identifies only the first part
of the string (delimited by new line characters) as a response from the
client, and the rest as distinct commands.

In my case, the response string is 80 characters long.  Without the
no-line-break option for base64-encode-sting, only the first 76 characters
are taken as a response to the server, and the authentication fails.

Regards,
Osamu Yamane