Re: TeX input method

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: TeX input method
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:29:23 -0400

>>> That is strictly wrong, since `\ ' means a breakable space of standard
>>> width in TeX.
>>
>> It's not strictly wrong because: the TeX input method != the TeX
>> language.

> We have already had people who use the input method data to convert
> some input language to utf-8 and back.  Diverting too far from the
> language is probably not a good idea.

>> BTW, do you have a counter suggestion for how to deal with the
>> inconvenience of mapping ~ to nbsp?

> Not right now.

So in essence you consider it more important to stick as close as possible
to TeX for those potential users who may want to abuse the input method as
a sort of coding-system, even if if means annoying the actual daily users of
this input method?

In this case I think we should "fix" the TeX input method to be more like
TeX?  E.g. map `SPC SPC SPC ...' to " "?

More seriously: the TeX input method is really not like TeX.  It's only
using TeX as a basis so that people who know TeX get the benefit of reusing
the same names for the same chars.

        Stefan