Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:21:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:34:04 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>

Should not the program name be quoted by `shell-quote-argment' when it is possible?

Only when Emacs generates the program name itself.  When the program
comes from the user typing its name (typically, into the minibuffer),
it's the user's responsibility to quote whatever arguments need that,
precisely as she would when typing the command at the shell's prompt.
(Stefan pointed out one situation where the latter behavior is quite
necessary, but there are other similar cases as well.)
Thanks, I see. Is that pointed out somewhere in the manual already?

But this does not change the need for quoting the file argument in those cases I pointed out. I am however not quite sure about what to do so I would like some suggestions.