Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:49:33 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I can not find any uses of explicit-bash-args in the lisp sources.
>>
>> C-h f shell RET
>>
>> "[...]
>> The shell file name (sans directories) is used to make a symbol name
>> such as `explicit-csh-args'.
>
> I don't know, but I would assume there are more bash than csh users
> these days?  So maybe that should be changed to explicit-bash-args ?

I think it should be changed to the shell name used most often on
systems that are predominantly GNU.

It may be that "explicit-sh-args" would actually be more often what is
used rather than "explicit-bash-args" since I would suspect that using
bash under the "sh" name is pretty common.

On the other hand, customizing bash-specific options into
explicit-sh-args by default does not seem like a good idea, either.