Re: "Emacs 21"

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: "Emacs 21"
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Would someone please volunteer to check all uses of "21" in the
> manuals to make sure there is nothing which inappropriately presume
> that is the version number?  Antinews should say it is for version 21,
> but nothing else should.

I checked the Emacs user's manual, finding a very few things that probably
need attention.  I give the file basename, a node name, and a comment:

cc-mode: Performance Issues
Mentions Emacs 21.3 "as of this writing".  Obviously that's true, but
discussing 22 instead would be more useful.

eshell: Known problems
Suggests that 21 is current.

gnus-faq: [1.3]
Suggests that 21 is current.

gnus: Image Enhancements
Talks about Emacs 21 on Windows not supporting images.  (This is true, but
it fails to mention that 22 does.)

mh-e: Preface
Describes 22.1 as being in the future.

mh-e: appendix From Bill Wohler
Somewhat offtopic: it says 21.4 was released in 2004?  I thought it was
2005 sometime, but I could be wrong.

tramp: FAQ
Also offtopic: some version/port-related text needs cleanup (look for "???").

url: Disk Caching
Implies that 21 is current.

I just searched for \<21\> in everything in man/, so there might be
something subtle that I missed.

Davis

shipping.