Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: shell-command - missing shell-quote-argument for program?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:14:46 +0200

Dave Love wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all Authors,

I mail you all directly about the possible bugs below in case you do
not read the Emacs Devel list. It would be very nice if you could fix
these bugs. (There was another such bug in ediff which I mailed
Michael Kifer seperately earlier.)

I'm sorry, but I don't know why you're sending this to me -- I can't
get things fixed in Emacs.  Anyhow, I don't understand what you're
talking about, so I suspect others won't.  You need to be explicit in
a bug report and send it to the maintainer(s) who can deal with it.

By the way, as far as I know, emerge is obsoleted by ediff.  It should
be in lisp/obsolete so as not have time wasted on it.  rms demurred on
that, but for no good reason as far as I remember.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. I am sorry if I were not clear enough about the problem. The problem is that when you call shell-command (or shell-command-to-string) the arguments may need to be quoted so that the shell does not mistreat them. A common example is file names with spaces in them. If a file name with spaces are used as argument to shell-command it must be quoted. Otherwise the shell will treat it as several arguments.

I found examples of what I suspected was missing quoting in the files I mentioned and I therefore mailed you as authors (since there is no maintainer mentioned in the files).

So far Kim Storm has responded and fixed the problem in ido.el. I would be very glad if you (I mean the authors here) tried to point out where the call to shell-quote-argument should be inserted to avoid the problem. It seems much simpler if you do it. However if you do not do that I will try to do that myself in a couple of days.

Kind regards,

Here are the files again:

- emerge.el
According to Dave it is probably obsolete and replaced by ediff. Then I will just leave emerge.el as it is.

- filesets.el

- shell.el: defcustom explicit-bash-args <- never used?
This was a misunderstanding on my side. Resolved on the devel list.

- progmodes/python.el: python-after-info-look: python-command

- progmodes/flymake.el: flymake-get-project-include-dirs-imp: basedir should perhaps be quoted?

- progmodes/ada-xref.el: ada-find-in-src-path

- ido.el: ido-wide-find-dirs-or-files: several examples of missing quoting
Kim has fixed ido.el.

- locate.el: locate-update-command shoue perhaps be quoted? (But probably not, since it may include more than the program name. Bad structure?)

- fortune.el

- org.el

- reftex-global.el: reftex-create-tags-file