RE: Suggestion: minor change to TUTORIAL(.*)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Suggestion: minor change to TUTORIAL(.*)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:07:57 -0700

    > Is the following hard to understand?

    >   `M-x  t e x t  SPC  m o d e  RET'

    Yes.  And it's never used.  Check this mailing-list and
    you'll see that people would rather write it
    `M-x text SPC mode RET'.

1. The mailing list is informal, and notation in email messages needs to be
unambiguous only within a limited context, not consistently for multiple
examples, as in a manual. I too write "Type `foobar'" in bug reports,
figuring it will be understood or, if not, a dialog will clear things up.

2. Never used? The following are all from instructions to type keystrokes.
They all unambiguously use the convention of separating keystrokes with
spaces. They are all from our manuals.

I did not include other examples of typing instructions that are equivalent
to key bindings, such as "type `7 d'" (not `7d') for the diary, because it
could be argued that the key-sequence notation, not the keystroke notation,
is being used in such cases. I don't think that can be argued in any of the
examples shown here.

Emacs manual nodes
------------------

. Blank Lines - `C-o F O O', `F O O <RET>'

. VC Dired Commands - `* l t k'

. Input Methods - `e ' '', `e e <DEL> ''

. Nroff Mode - `. ( b <RET>'

. Abbrevs - `f o o <SPC>'

. Abbrev Concepts - `f o o .'

. Dynamic Abbrevs - `f o M-/'

. Dabbrev Customization - `v a M-/'

. History References - `! m v <TAB>'

Info manual nodes
-----------------

. Help-] - `[ n [', `] p ]'

. Info Search - `i C - f <RET>'

Emacs-Lisp Introduction manual nodes
------------------------------------

. Keymaps - `@ g r o u p'

Org Mode manual, node
---------------------

. Agenda commands - `3 6 5 S-<right>'

Viper manual nodes
------------------

. New Commands - `# C 3 w'

. Vi Macros - `t e x t', `f 6'
  (actually, inconsistent notation is used in this node)

VIP manual nodes
----------------

. Undoing - `u . . .', `u u'

. Counts - `p p p', `o a b c <ESC>'

. Region Commands - `m . d R', `d d'

. New Commands - `# C 3 w'

. Numeric Arguments - `5 d d', `d d'

. Files - `v v <TAB> <RET>'

. Delete Commands - `3 d w', `" t 3 d w', `"T d w'

. Put Back Commands - `" c p'

. Change Commands - `c w', `b a r <RET>'

[Note: I'd prefer that we dispense with using angle brackets, because they
are unnecessary, which is why I wrote (as did both you and Lennart) `RET',
not `<RET>'. The manuals actually use `<RET>'.  This is not the question
under discussion now, however.]