Re: emacs crashed on windows-xp

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: emacs crashed on windows-xp
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:04:57 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

>>> It crashes with a message print out:
>>>         Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault
>>>
>>> I'm running emacs-unicode-2 (CVS:2006-10-04) in Fedora core 5.
>>>

>> Doesn't happen for me with CVS trunk on GNU/Linux (redhat 9.0).
>>

> Strange, it does for me on GNU/Linux (Debian testing) as well as Windows..
>
> Did you follow the exact formula Zhang Wei posted (across two
> different mails)?
>
>    emacs -Q
>
>    M-: (setq frame-title-format (list "%f (%l,%c) ---- @" system-name))
>
>    C-h i m elisp <RET> m lists <RET> m rings <RET> u u

I looked briefly at this (don't have time to dig further right now).

It seems that the problem is that in redisplay_internal, the frame title is
drawn _before_ the windows are updated, so the stuff which depends on
actual window contents (such as %l) may fail to render properly -- and
even crash emacs as we have seen here.

Perhaps a simple fix would be to move the call to x_consider_frame_title
currently inside prepare_menu_bars to after we have completed the
window updates...

Unfortunately, this comment says this is not TRT ... so what is TRT?

  /* Update all frame titles based on their buffer names, etc.  We do
     this before the menu bars so that the buffer-menu will show the
     up-to-date frame titles.  */

BTW, what does frame titles have to do with the buffer menu?