Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:02:43 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
    But the current documentation string and the availability of multiple
    arguments that are _documented_ as multiple arguments is quite
    misleading.  If we decide that those arguments are not intended to be
    multiple arguments but rather something that is merely spliced
    together with spaces into one single string, then the documentation
    should reflect this.

The function does what it is supposed to do.
I agree that we should change the documentation in this way.

I still think that saying

   (start-process-shell-command NAME BUFFER COMMAND &rest COMMAND-ARGS)

is misleading and the "flexibility" it provides is very minor.  So it'd be
better to only have

   (start-process-shell-command NAME BUFFER COMMAND)

because it makes the behavior of the function much more obvious.  Makes for
a simpler docstring as well, which in turn will save us trouble and the
users as well.

And the callers can easily do the (mapconcat 'identity <args> " ")
themselves when they need it.

After reading this long discussion I agree to this.