Gnuclient vs Emacsclient

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Gnuclient vs Emacsclient
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:15:51 -0400

I've recently had Eclipse inflicted on me. The source file editor is just abysmal for an experienced Emacs user. I noticed that Alan Donovan created an Eclipse/Emacs plugin that uses gnuclient. I built it for an x86_64 on FC5 and it does not work. So there will be some development effort, hopefully small.

But it occurred to me that I ought to find out what the emacsclient vs gnuclient story is. As near as I can tell, you all appeared to wrestle with adopting gnuserv and abandoning emacsserver about six years ago. And gnuserv now exists in about 4-5 flavors derived from Andy Norman's original work.

Left to my own devices I am inclined to pick one of the gnuserv variants and get it working within the current Emacs CVS tree and then retire emacsclient/emacsserver. Probably Alan Donovan's, FWIW

Comments?  Suggestions?

-pmr