Re: Gnuclient vs Emacsclient

From: Martin Schwenke
Subject: Re: Gnuclient vs Emacsclient
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:05:04 +1000

    Paul> Left to my own devices I am inclined to pick one of the
    Paul> gnuserv variants and get it working within the current Emacs
    Paul> CVS tree and then retire emacsclient/emacsserver.  Probably
    Paul> Alan Donovan's, FWIW

My approach has been to pull the latest gnuclient/gnuserv out of the
current XEmacs (possibly CVS?), since this will be the most
up-to-date, combine it with some autoconf stuff and distribute it via:

  http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/

The latest version is:

  http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/src/gnuserv-3.12.7.tar.gz

Various GNU/Linux distributions and, by the look of it, Mac OS/X have
picked up this version and distribute it.

I recently noticed a security vulnerability being fixed in gnuserv so
I'm planning to see if I can pick up the most recent version and
release a new package as soon as possible.  Hopefully not too much has
changed...

While there have been some improvements to emacsclient/server a quick
look at the Emacs 22 prerelease suggests that it still doesn't have
all of the features of gnuclient/gnuserv.  It doesn't seem likely that
gnuserv will ever be included in GNU Emacs - I was last involved in a
discussion on this topic about 4 years ago and the suggestion was to
reimplement the missing features in emacsclient/server.

peace & happiness,
martin