Re: Bug Database?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Bug Database?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:17:28 +0100

On 17 Oct 2006, at 22:49, Nick Roberts wrote:

I'm quite sure if they all had to be fixed first
it would never get released. I use Emacs every day and I must say I've not
encountered any of the bugs currently in FOR-RELEASE.

For about 18 months, I've been releasing a downstream project with binary builds of patched and augmented GNU Emacs CVS checkouts (http://aquamacs.org). We have around 3,500 different users in any given week and more than 10,000 application starts a day. We're doing monthly or bi-monthly releases. The users have proven to be a useful test community. Over time, we have seen a lot of bug reports from users, some of which concerning bugs due to the use of functions in Emacs that wouldn't otherwise be used in a straight CVS build. I've generated or checked and passed on about 150 bug reports as a result, as my e-mail archive tells me. (Almost all of them were quickly fixed by maintainers!)

It appears that the bug reports I am receiving (which actually concern issues in the Emacs core) have been getting a lot more scarce over the past couple of months, even though our user base has been growing. That's a good sign.

That said, good quality is what people are expecting from a project that doesn't release very often...