Re: Emacs's Command Frequency and default keyboard shortcuts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs's Command Frequency and default keyboard shortcuts
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:37:08 +0900

Pascal Bourguignon <address@hidden> writes:
>> Rather have Caps Lock be an additional Control key.  When would you
>> _ever_ need Caps Lock?  The only use I can think of is to appear like
>> an idiot on Usenet, and there are other ways for doing that.
>
> Indeed, like M-x caps-mode RET   HOWDY! ;-)

On that note (only works in Emacs 22):

(define-minor-mode caps-lock-mode
  "When enabled, all self-inserting characters will be converted to uppercase."
  :lighter " CapsLock"
  (if caps-lock-mode
      (local-set-key [remap self-insert-command] 'self-insert-upcased)
    (local-unset-key [remap self-insert-command])))

(defun self-insert-upcased ()
  (interactive)
  (insert (upcase last-input-char)))

[THANKS, KIM, FOR THE WONDERFUL "[REMAP ...]"  KEY-BINDING MECHANISM!!!!]

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.