Re: Bug Database?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Bug Database?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:22:25 +0200

Nick Roberts skrev:
 > >  I think the important thing is that reported bugs don't get lost
 > > between the cracks, not that every bug is fixed before the release.
> > We've been through this before. Everyone agrees with your statement
 > except RMS.

Yes, but I'm also suggesting use of a bug database to ensure that reported bugs
don't get lost.  That has also come up before and was considered unnecessary,
but at that time reported bugs were only recorded in the archives.

FWIW I think such a database (Bugzilla?) would help. Right now I have bugs that shall be fixed to the release (just found out I forgot to do the UTF-8 in selection thingy), bugs/features that are for after the release, and bugs that are hard to reproduce, but are on some kind of watch-list.

A database would be a good place to clearly mark the type of bug/feature request, and the planned release. A more structured FOR-RELEASE, but not just for the next release. It would hopefully be easier to search and browse than my inbox + Emacs mailing lists.

        Jan D.