Re: Gnuserv

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Gnuserv
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:18:52 -0400

Jason Rumney wrote:
Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
Most of the culprit is "Unable to connect, connection refused" type
messages.
What makes you think rewriting gnuserv using another programming language will solve these problems?

Because in fifteen minutes I had a server/client pair working just dandy, server spawned from Emacs, based on the Java KnockKnock tutorial code. Now to flesh it out by working on the protocol, where I should be working, not wondering what freaking network issue in the C code is causing an inability to connect. And it handles multiple connections just fine. Bottom line is that with C code, the coder has to worry about OS dependencies and quirks. With Java (and some other languages no doubt) the VM eliminates these issues in a platform independent way. Were I a C based networking guru, this is a non issue but I'm not and I have the itch so following the path of least resistance is the path for me.

However, I do suspect that Jetty is a better answer in the long run because it opens up http. First things first though.

-pmr