Re: global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:30:49 +0900

I've just found that I have not yet replied to this.

In article <address@hidden>, Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

> In the file composite.el, the value of autloaded variable
> 'global-auto-composition-mode' is given initial value

> (not (or noninteractive emacs-basic-display))

> emacs-basic-display is defined in startup.el, while the autoload goes
> into loaddefs.el

> However, as defined in loadup.el, loaddefs.el gets loaded first.

> When emacs is dumping, 'noninteractive' is true and the 'or' in the
> code above short-circuits.  But in CANNOT_DUMP situation,
> emacs-basic-display is checked in loaddefs before it has been defined
> in startup (loaded later), causing an abort.

> I realize runs of emacs with CANNOT_DUMP must be rare these days, but
> if it is still supported some fix should be made.  Maybe define
> emacs-basic-display somewhere earlier, I'm not sure?

First of all, I'm not sure it is the right thing that
global-auto-composition-mode depends on emacs-basic-display
or not.  As composition is mandatory for several
languages/scripts, I've just install a change that makes
global-auto-composition-mode not depend on
emacs-basic-display.

For those who don't know what we are talking here, this is
relevant only to emacs-unicode-2 branch.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden