Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:00:24 +0100

This may seem like an offbeat suggestion, but I think Emacs could
behave like a SSH daemon for emacsclient/server interactions..

Consider the advantages:
(assuming OpenSSH would be the starting point)

- it's not difficult to do, and the protocol is fairly standard
- authentication and automation can be handled with SSH keys
- the client can be a plain SSH client
- encryption is free (and can be disabled, but on by default)
- Emacs doesn't have to be updated if the SSL libraries change
- there will be less "standalone" code in Emacs and perhaps less code overall
- debugging, using, and understanding the mechanism would be easier

I realize this is not a trivial project, but I also think it would
benefit Emacs greatly.

Ted