Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:54:47 +0200

On 10/23/06, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

The -auth thingy is not need for unix-sockets.

Yes, of course. From "Choose the port at random" on I was talking of
the TCP socket case.

Sounds OK.  I'm not quite sure how "-server-name" and
"--socket-name" relate.  Maybe we should merge them?

This is what you said a year ago:

"Maybe you're right, and .emacs.servers should be a directory.
So if you run emacsclient --server-name foo it would look for
/tmp/emacs<uid>/foo for a unix socket and if that fails it'd look for
~/.emacs.servers/foo for a file holding the host/port/auth info."

so I think yes, you were thinking of merging both.

I don't understand.  Currently, "--socket-name=FOO" tries /tmp/esrv-UID/FOO
(and if not specified it assumes FOO to be "server"), and that doesn't
prevent root from saying "--socket-name=/tmp/esrv-OTHERUID/bar".
Why shouldn't this work just as well for --server-name?

OK, but then, --server-name=foo is taken to be (in TCP sockets) either
~/.emacs.d/server/foo, or an absolute path. That wasn't explicit in
the earlier thread and I understood "foo" to be always taken as a
server name.

BTW, it shouldn't be ~/.emacs.server but ~/.emacs.d/servers or something
like that.

Agreed.

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u