Re: undo-kill-buffer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: undo-kill-buffer
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:36:19 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Maybe it's due to a UI misfeature.  Could you explain in which context
> this happens?  Are you just using C-x k or some other way to kill the buffers?
> C-x k It's a command I almost never use.

I use C-x k a lot because I really hate having lots of buffers clutter
up the namespace -- it makes C-x C-b less useful, makes buffer-name
completion more awkward, causes newly visited file buffers to end up
with annoying suffixes (I use uniquify, so the suffixes are rational,
but I still don't like them), etc.

For whatever reason, I tend to use C-x k rather than the buffer-list "d"
command, perhaps because it's nice to have one last look at the contents
before killing.  I don't think the specific command really makes all
that much difference though; it's easy enough to accidentally kill a
buffer using buffer-list "d" too, for instance (e.g. mark a bunch of
buffers for killing and end up marking one too many without realizing
it).

[I don't tend to lose stuff though, because if there's even a slight
chance I'll find info valuable later, I put it in /tmp/,blah or something
rather than making a scratch buffer.]

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'