Re: Emacs's --geometry argument vs default-frame-alist

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs's --geometry argument vs default-frame-alist
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:48:35 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev:
The interaction between the --geometry argument and the default-frame-alist
setting has recently changed.

It is rather inconvenient for me now:

I typically start my Emacs as follows:

   emacs --geometry 256x1+0-0

and in my .emacs I do something like:

   (setq initial-frame-alist '((minibuffer . only)))
   (setq default-frame-alist
         '((minibuffer . nil) (height . 40) (width . 80) (user-size . t)))

This used to result in the exact behavior I want: Emacs starts as a single-line
minibuffer-only frame, and other frames have the normal size.

But now, my default-frame-alist I set in .emacs gets overwritten by the
"256x1" geometry argument, so subsequent frames also have this weird 256x1
shape :-(

What was the reason for the change?

The reason was this:

C.9 Options for Window Size and Position

Here is a list of the command-line options for specifying size and
position of the initial Emacs frame:

`-g WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
`--geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
     Specify the size WIDTH and HEIGHT (measured in character columns
     and lines), and positions XOFFSET and YOFFSET (measured in
     pixels).  The WIDTH and HEIGHT parameters apply to all frames,
     whereas XOFFSET and YOFFSET only to the initial frame.

"The WIDTH and HEIGHT parameters apply to all frames" was not true before the change. See thread at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00328.html

So the behaviour you see now does conform to the manual. You can always put width and height in the initial-frame-alist instead of giving -g on the command line.

But there is something else going on here. If I run with your settings above in my .emacs (and only those lines), I first get a 256x1 minibuffer and nothing else. But frames created after that are 80x40. Is that how it should be?

        Jan D.

        Jan D.