Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:46:01 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> > This Emacs-CVS build seems to run without any crashing!
> >

> That is a good sign, but your original symptoms were very similar to a
> case we had when compiling 21.3 and 21.4 with recent MingW ports of gcc.
> In that case the cause was that .elc files had been written in DOS text
> mode (converting \n to \r\n and terminating the file when a ^Z character
> was encountered). If the problem is the same, it will only show up when
> you bootstrap with that build of Emacs, since elc files compiled on
> another platform will not have the same problem.

I have bootstrapped Emacs-CVS on Cygwin with GCC-4.0.3.

Then I started Emacs at 13:20 and it is still running (17:19) without
crashing.

It would be desirable that others build Emacs-CVS on Cygwin with a GCC-4
branch to confirm the above. It seems that GCC-3.4.4-2 (exp) on Cygwin is
broken with the '-g' option.

Regarding GCC-4.0.3, it does not belongs to Cygwin yet, I built it myself
(only the core, C language) because it needs to build G95.

Regarding the observations of Jason, there are a few *.elc file that some
editor (Crimson) reports as in DOS format (Emacs shows -=:--).

I have examined a few of these *.elc files and the only differences
between those produced on GNU/Linux (thanks, RMS, to have remembered me
this) and those on Windows-Cygwin are the compiling date and the name of
machines, desktop-angelo on GNU/Linux, homepc on Win-Cygwin.

At first sight it seems that the bootstrapped and the hybrid builds are
very similar.

   Cheers,

      Angelo.