Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:08:22 +0200

Two additional notes:

 - Currently, when emacsclient fails the authentication check, it
just ends (because Emacs closes the connection). Should it give an
error message?

 - server.el generates the authentication string with `random', but
Emacs uses the same seed every time. I'm reluctant to call (random t)
in server.el; Emacs doesn't do it for a good reason (repeatability).
The problem is not critical (Emacs won't accept remote connections
unless the user customizes `server-host'), but two users on the same
machine will be able to connect to each other's Emacs servers... I
suppose the "fix" is adding a note in the docs instructing people who
uses TCP sockets with server.el to add (random t) to their .emacs.el.

(Perhaps adding a function (random-seed SEED) which would change the
seed and return the previous one would be useful; it'd allow defining
a macro `with-temp-seed'... but I digress.)

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u