Re: Patch: overstrike/bold in Windows build

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Patch: overstrike/bold in Windows build
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:02:58 +0200

On 10/27/06, Ben North <address@hidden> wrote:

One idea: Is the 2-* set made with a BDF font?

No. As I said, I used some long-forgotten font editor to open a font I
liked, I pasted the euro sign from a similar font at the right
codepoint, and I've been using it happily ever after. (I think all
this is not strictly illegal, as it is a personal use of the font and
I've never distributed it, but who knows...)

Perhaps there's some
interaction with what antialiasing and/or ClearText (on laptops?)

ClearText was inactive.

Hmm. Very interesting. The font I'm using already has Bold, Oblique
and Bold Oblique variants. So I think what's happening is that, when I
set the font to bold, Emacs uses the bold variant... and then somehow
thinks it doesn't support bold and tries to synthesize it. If I remove
the variants from \Windows\fonts and leave just the normal font, your
code works right.

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u