Re: "Emacs 21"

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: "Emacs 21"
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:15:39 -0700 (PDT)

> For a beginner learning Lisp on Emacs 22, talking about old Emacs
> versions is a digression.  Digressions interfere with communication.
> Unless there is some special important reason I can't envision,
> it is better to eliminate everything about old versions.
> [snip]
> Each of these examples serves an educational purpose.
> So each should be updated so as to serve its purpose well
> in a world where Emacs 22 is being used.

OK, here's the (long) patch for the Lisp Introduction to do all that.  In
lieu of a description, here's a ChangeLog entry for it:

2006-10-27  Stuart D. Herring  <address@hidden>

        * emacs-lisp-intro.texi (Top): remove menu entry for "Complete
        zap-to-char".
        (Top, Emacs Initialization): remove version reference for X
        colors.
        (Making Errors, Void Function, Void Variable)
        (Wrong Type of Argument, debug, debug-on-entry): remove discussion
        of Emacs 20 error reporting.
        (else): make impossible outcome obvious.
        (Review): use `emacs-major-version' instead of `emacs-version'.
        Document `='.
        (Finding More): remove discussion of old `describe-function'
        behavior.
        (Finding More, fwd-para summary, lengths-list-file)
        (lengths-list-many-files, Files List): use 22.1 instead of
        21.0.100 as a dummy version number.
        (mark-whole-buffer overview): use version 22 `mark-whole-buffer'.
        (Body of mark-whole-buffer): update call to `push-mark'.  Merge
        paragraphs describing `push-mark' call to include 21 information.
        (zap-to-char): remove discussion of version 19 function, and the
        description of error-handling in `kill-region'.  Include function
        source in node.  Remove "Complete zap-to-char" menu item.
        (Complete zap-to-char): delete node.
        (zap-to-char interactive): simplify discussion of "*" in the
        interactive spec, omitting version 19 bug.
        (search-forward): simplify discussion of character/string
        distinction.
        (kill-region): merge version 21 information.
        (Recursive Definition Parts): use `when' in recursive template.
        (Recursion with list): remove Emacs 20 instructions.
        (Recursion with list, Every, recursive-graph-body-print): use
        `when' instead of `if'+`progn'.
        (lengths-list-file): remove Emacs 19 commentary, old path Texinfo
        comment.
        (Files List): use @dots instead of ".." directory in example list.
        (Simple Extension): clean up testing of Emacs version and minor
        mode calls, and rewrite motivation for version-specific
        customization
        (Mode Line): don't mention that :eval was new in 21.
        (debug-on-entry): rewrite motivation for deliberate debugging.

Davis

shipping.