Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 02:24:56 +0200

Updated patch; mainly changes in emacsclient.c:

- Now --server-file=xxx (or EMACS_SERVER_FILE=xxx) tries to open:
  - "xxx" (as an absolute or relative path)
  - "%HOME%/.emacs.d/server/xxx"
  - "%APPDATA%/.emacs.d/server/xxx" (on Windows)
- With no --server-file, it tries to open a local socket.
 - If no --server-file and no local sockets, acts like
"--server-file=server" (which is the same default that server.el
uses).

Some more unresolved questions:

 - Ideas about making server.el bring the frame to the front? Also,
making it compatible with pop-up-frames = t (requested by Drew).

 - In GNU/Linux, is the above search sequence the right one, or
should it use getpwnam (...)->pw_dir to locate the user home
directory?

(Note: I'm beating this into shape with the idea of installing it in
the next few days; I sure hope the pretest is not a problem...)

                    /L/e/k/t/u