Re: Patch: overstrike/bold in Windows build

From: Ben North
Subject: Re: Patch: overstrike/bold in Windows build
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:03:48 +0100

Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've tested your patch in a setup which *doesn't* suffer the problem,
> and the results are a little weird.

Thanks for trying this out and providing the resulting PNGs.

> The 1-* set of images is for Lucida Console.

These look as I would expect in both the -bold and -patched images.
1-bold show the doubled left column of the starting "w", then every
other character is just shifted right one pixel.  1-patched correctly
"OR"s them together.  (I haven't checked pixel-by-pixel, but it looks
like that is what's happening.)

> The 2-* set is for a font which I did once by adding the euro sign to
> a font whose name I've forgotten (perhaps Lucida Sans Typewriter).
> That's the one I use everywhere; it looks OK on desktop computers, but
> on the laptop it shows the problem you're trying to fix.

One idea: Is the 2-* set made with a BDF font?  That would go through a
different code-path, although I haven't fully got to grips with those
details.

It looks like 2-bold is already doing some sort of antialiasing, despite
the fact that in the unpatched code, it looks like the background-mode
is OPAQUE for the one-pixel-shifted rendering.  Perhaps there's some
interaction with what antialiasing and/or ClearText (on laptops?) is
specified in the font and/or system-wide?

As you can tell, I've only started looking at this code in the past day
or two so don't really know what I'm doing.  I'm not sure how much time
I'll have to hack on this, but if you send me the font used in 2-* and
relevant settings (maybe off-list), I can see if I can reproduce your
results.