Re: Pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:28:40 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:59:36 -0400
>
> Since this is the first Emacs 22 pretest tarball, it would be nice if
> people could take a look and make sure there are no problems building
> from, before we think about making any pretest announcement.

On this system:

   Linux fencepost 2.6.12-fencepost #1 SMP Wed Jul 19 10:55:11 EDT 2006 i686
GNU/Linux

I cannot build the pretest: it fails while linking temacs.  Here's the
last portion of the build transcript:

  gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src -D_BSD_SOURCE  -g -O2
terminfo.c
  gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src -D_BSD_SOURCE  -g -O2
lastfile.c
  gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src -D_BSD_SOURCE  -g -O2
vm-limit.c
  gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src -D_BSD_SOURCE  -g -O2
mktime.c
  gcc -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.
-I/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src -D_BSD_SOURCE  -g -O2
-Wl,-znocombreloc
/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src/prefix-args.c -o prefix-args
  echo "dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o
category.o ccl.o cm.o term.o xfaces.o   emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o
sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o
filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o
alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o print.o
lread.o abbrev.o syntax.o unexelf.o bytecode.o process.o callproc.o
region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o
composite.o md5.o    terminfo.o lastfile.o   vm-limit.o   mktime.o " >
buildobj.lst
  gcc -nostdlib `./prefix-args -Xlinker  -z nocombreloc` -Wl,-znocombreloc -o
temacs pre-crt0.o /usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o
xdisp.o xmenu.o window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o cm.o term.o
xfaces.o   emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o
insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o
casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o
callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o print.o lread.o abbrev.o syntax.o unexelf.o
bytecode.o process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o
strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o    terminfo.o lastfile.o
vm-limit.o   mktime.o     -lncurses
 -lm -lgcc -lc -lgcc /usr/lib/crtn.o
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs/pretest/emacs-22.0.90/src'
  make: *** [src] Error 2

It seems ld fails with no message to explain the failure.  I tried to
add various verbosity switches, like -t and --verbose, to LDFLAGS, but
couldn't see anything that'd explain the problem.  Does anyone know
how to get ld to tell more?

This machine uses GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2.1) and ld version
2.15.

Interestingly, the same machine builds the CVS version just fine (and
has been doing that for a very long time).

FWIW, here are the results of configure (the fact that it doesn't find
X headers and libraries is expected, due to the way this machine is
configured):

  Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

    Where should the build process find the source code?
/home/e/eliz/emacs.cvs
  /pretest/emacs-22.0.90
    What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
          `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
    What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
    Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
        (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
    Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
    Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
    What window system should Emacs use?                    none
    What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
    Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
    Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
    Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
    Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
    Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
    Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
    Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
    Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
    Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no