Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:27:48 +0100 (MET)

I do not know if we are speaking of the same thing.

I refer to the possibility to use Emacs like an IDE with GFortran.

I will try to be more clear with this example.

-------------------------------------
$ cat hello.F
      program hello
      implicit none
      write(*,) 'Hello!'
      end
-------------------------------------

In Emacs:

M-x compile
g77 hello.F

----------------- *compilation* ----------------
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "/tmp/" -*-
Compilation started at Mon Oct 30 15:59:21

g77 hello.F
hello.F: In program `hello':
hello.F:3:                                       <===
         write(*,) 'Hello!'
                 ^
Expression at (^) has incorrect data type or rank for its context

Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Mon Oct 30 15:59:28
----------------

Now clicking with mouse-1 (on 'hello.F:3' in '<===') jumps to line 3 so we
can examine where the compilation fails (Image a multifile application
with thousands of line of code).

Now using GFortran

M-x compile
gfortran hello.F

----------------- *compilation* ----------------
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "/tmp/" -*-
Compilation started at Mon Oct 30 16:10:09

gfortran hello.F
 In file hello.F:3

      write(*,) 'Hello!'
             1
Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)

Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Mon Oct 30 16:10:12

But we cannot jump to the wrong line clicking with mouse, we only know
that the error occurs at line 3 which we reach manually.

Obviously this happens even if one uses pure F95 code.

   Angelo.