Re: Back to emacsclient/server

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Back to emacsclient/server
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 01:35:26 +0100

On 10/30/06, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

Please do so,

OK, the TCP socket code for emacsclient is installed.

server.el should be OK. As for emasclient.c, I've tried to use macros
to isolate Winsock-specific code. Still, it is quite possible it
doesn't compile under GNU/Linux or other systems. If that happens,
it's better to fix it than complain to me (because I don't have any
way to test it on those systems) :)

There are a few things lacking; for example, a way to make server.el
bring the Emacs frame to the front (on Windows, at least). Also,
documentation. And, of course, lots of testing.

One weird thing (but I must be overlooking something): When Emacs (and
server.el) is not running,

 C:\> emacsclient -a test.bat my-file.txt

runs test.bat (with CMD.EXE). However, both

 C:\> emacsclient --alternate-editor=test.bat my-file.txt

and

 C:\> SET ALTERNATE_EDITOR=test.bat
 C:\> emacsclient my-file.txt

fail. The first one with a message stating that "--alternate-editor"
is not recognized, and the second one with a weird loop cmd.exe ->
emacsclient.exe -> cmd.exe, etc.

It only happens with .BAT scripts, not executables, so something
related to the way execvp() tries to run cmd.exe, I suppose.

--
                   /L/e/k/t/u