Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:59:11 +0900

"François-Xavier Coudert" <address@hidden> writes:
> I think the current error message format is possible to parse, so it's
> just that people who want to parse it have to write the appropriate
> code.

As Stefan said, standards exist for a reason -- even if Emacs adds the
required patterns to match gfortran's idiosyncratic output format, what
about vim?  Or teds-funky-editor which only sees a release every 10
years?  Or other tools/utilities which want to semi-parse error output?

It's very hard to make sure every tool knows about every format, so
having at least some minimal standardization _really_ helps.

> Frankly, I strongly prefer the current error formating.

It is not necessary to completely change the format, nor to make it
human unfriendly, merely make sure that key info (filename/line/colum)
is available in a standard form.

I.e., keep the verbose "squishy good for humans" stuff (e.g. showing a
little picture of where the error occurred), but change the numeric info
into a standard form.  As Stefan mentioned, the difference seems rather
gratuitous (" In file F:L" versus "F:L:").

I guess the result would look something like:

   gfortran hello.F
   hello.F:3:

         write(*,) 'Hello!'
                1
   Error: Syntax error in WRITE statement at (1)

[Which works fine with Emacs.]

-Miles

--
I'd rather be consing.