Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:31:54 +0200

> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:13:04 -0800
> From: Steve Kargl <address@hidden>
> Cc: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> >
> > If the error messages have the standard GNU form, then it should work.
> > If not, then probably GFortran should be fixed to put its error
> > messages in standard form.
>
> I disagree.  Gfortran's error mechanism can span multiple lines.
> The GNU form can't.

I believe there's a misunderstanding about what ``the GNU standard''
is; please read the latest messages that indicate that all we need is
the standard form of identifying the file and line of the problem.

If you still think this will hamper GFortran, please show some
specific examples of what your format allows, while the ``GNU
standard'' (in the meaning I mentioned above) does not.

(Btw, I think Emacs supports multi-line messages just fine, if it's
relevant.)