Re: raise-frame doesn't work in Fedora Core 4

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: raise-frame doesn't work in Fedora Core 4
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:08:32 +0100

Stefan Monnier skrev:
needed.

I don't understand: AFAICT the OP's problem is that `raise-frame' does not
actually raise the frame.  But `raise-frame' calls XRaiseWindow, which seems
like it should raise the frame, don't you think?
XSetInputFocus seems unrelated (especially since `raise-frame' doesn't call
it AFAIK).

In other words, to me it seems that if `raise-frame' requires this
_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW footwork to work, it's a bug either in the WM or in the
wm-spec: `XRaiseWindow' should do just what it says, i.e. raise the window.
But maybe there's a rationale for this, so it's just a misfeature needed for
some odd reason.  In that case I'd be interested to hear what's the reason
(and if the reason has to do with input-focus, I'll need more info to
understand what's the relationship with raise-frame).

I agree, XRaiseWindow should do just that.

The rationale I've seen is the one I sent. It is actually from a draft of the spec, newer versions don't have any rationale at all. It is a pity freedesktop specifies all this new stuff without giving any clue whatsoever as what it is for. On the other hand, it may just be another instance of "metacity does strange things". It would not be the first time.

        Jan D.