Re: gfortran error format (was: Re: Emacs and GFortran)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: gfortran error format (was: Re: Emacs and GFortran)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:20:23 +0100 (CET)

   If someone wants to propose a complete patch (against subversion
   mainline) that works, regression-tests fine, please send it and it
   will be reviewed like any other patch.

A purposed patch that makes gfortran follow the GCS is already
purposed and submitted, two version of it one backward compatible (g77
style) and one that is not exist.  It has been repeated a billion
times that gfortran does not have to follow the GCS to the letter,
only allow to jump to the error location.  If you or anyone else
wishes to do that, please do, but this is not what was requested.

   PS: One thing that I would like to note, however: changing the
   format of error messages is not something we can do out of the
   blue. Some tools already handle the gfortran error messages, so we
   probably don't want to make life too hard for them.

I already purposed a backward compatible version of the format that
should work with tools that parse the "old" format, this is what g77
did for example; this fact has also been repeated several times now.

I do not wish to spend any more on this, so this will be my last
message on the topic, I think it is clear what should be done, and
what is requested is a trivial change but people being stubborn and
making up excuses.