Re: unicode-2 branch segfaulting on MacOS X?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Subject: Re: unicode-2 branch segfaulting on MacOS X?
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:43:09 -0500

Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

But rebuilding the fc-cache now returns:

% fc-list 'bitstream vera sans mono' width
:width=100
%

Hmmm :)

Yes, doing the same worked for me. At least with regards to 'fc-list'. The latest emacs-unicode-2 (at least as of yesterday morning) was still not seeing the width attribute even though 'fc-list' now does. However, thinking about it now, it is quite likely that I have multiple versions of 'fc-list' installed on my computer, so maybe I should query them all to see if somehow the fontconfig library emacs is being linked against isn't still confused.

After some additional research I determined that the system installed version of fontconfig did not seem to handle the width attribute properly, but the Darwin Ports install of fontconfig did. So after some futzing with CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH when running configure, I was able to finally get emacs-unicode-2 running without any apparent problems.

So if anyone else happens to have this problem, make sure the version of fontconfig you're linking against on MacOS X isn't broken.