Re: "Emacs 21"

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: "Emacs 21"
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 03:17:24 +0000 (UTC)

   These changes look good to me.  Shouldn't they be installed _now_ ?

The text has been updated to GNU Emacs 22; this has taken care of
issues that I have recognized -- but I am sure I missed many.

   >    * emacs-lisp-intro.texi (Top): remove menu entry for "Complete
   >    zap-to-char".

updated

   >    (Top, Emacs Initialization): remove version reference for X
   >    colors.

Removed

   >    (Making Errors, Void Function, Void Variable)
   >    (Wrong Type of Argument, debug, debug-on-entry): remove discussion
   >    of Emacs 20 error reporting.

updated to 22

   >    (else): make impossible outcome obvious.

Don't know about this; I think the discussion of else is obvious but
maybe it is not.

   >    (Review): use `emacs-major-version' instead of `emacs-version'.

emacs-major-version did not work as of a few days ago, but
emacs-version did, so kept emacs-version

   >    Document `='.

done

   >    (Finding More): remove discussion of old `describe-function'
   >    behavior.

As far as I remember, done

   >    (Finding More, fwd-para summary, lengths-list-file)
   >    (lengths-list-many-files, Files List): use 22.1 instead of
   >    21.0.100 as a dummy version number.

I used 22.0.100 as the dummy version number.  That fits my experience
better than anything.  Maybe it should be 22.1.100.

   >    (mark-whole-buffer overview): use version 22 `mark-whole-buffer'.

done, i.e., rewritten

   >    (Body of mark-whole-buffer): update call to `push-mark'.  Merge

done, i.e., rewritten

   >    paragraphs describing `push-mark' call to include 21 information.

done, i.e., rewritten, I am pretty sure.  (I have forgot all that I did.)

   >    (zap-to-char): remove discussion of version 19 function, and the
   >    description of error-handling in `kill-region'.  Include function
   >    source in node.  Remove "Complete zap-to-char" menu item.

done, i.e., rewritten, I am pretty sure.

   >    (zap-to-char interactive): simplify discussion of "*" in the
   >    interactive spec, omitting version 19 bug.
done

   >    (search-forward): simplify discussion of character/string

rewrote for 22

   >    (kill-region): merge version 21 information.

rewrote for 22

   >    (Recursive Definition Parts): use `when' in recursive template.

Not done, but probably a good idea; `when' is discussed elsewhere,
maybe even earlier in the text, so the addition of yet another idea is
not too bad, especially since we do not want to encourage recursion
with Emacs Lisp!

   >    (Recursion with list): remove Emacs 20 instructions.

I am pretty sure this was done

   >    (Recursion with list, Every, recursive-graph-body-print): use
   >    `when' instead of `if'+`progn'.

Same comment as above regarding `when'

   >    (lengths-list-file): remove Emacs 19 commentary, old path Texinfo
   >    comment.

I rewrote this for 22; I am not sure about the old comment; I presume
it is gone

   >    (Files List): use @dots instead of ".." directory in example list.

I remember looking at this and either put in the multiple dots or
discovered that going up a directory was right.  I cannot remember which

   >    (Simple Extension): clean up testing of Emacs version and minor
   >    mode calls, and rewrite motivation for version-specific
   >    customization
Cannot remember what I did.

   >    (Mode Line): don't mention that :eval was new in 21.

Done

   >    (debug-on-entry): rewrite motivation for deliberate debugging.

I don't remember seeing a need for this.

Please make suggestions based on what has been done since October 31.
The differences between then and any earlier version are very large,
much, much larger than any posted -- too large to post.

Please read the text and see what can be improved.  I am having a hard
time being enough of a novice.  I do not want to present too many
complications but fear I have added them.  The experience is a bit
surprising, since I don't think of myself as knowing much.  Maybe I am
getting old.  Perhaps you who know much more or who are better than I
or younger will find it easier to figure out what to say to those who
know nothing as yet; that is my hope!  Thanks!

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden